In the construction and maintenance of fireplaces, manufacturers or builders must follow the instructions and use appropriate materials. Especially in the distances to combustible materials.
The chimney must be isolated or sufficiently separated from materials or near combustible elements. It is necessary to realize when the duct passes roofs, false ceilings or roofs next to wood, parquet, wooden structures, plastic and synthetic materials that can be burned.
The combustible elements, at a distance
The walls, the ceiling and the floor next to the fireplace must not be and must not contain combustible material: paper, wood, carpets, carpet, parquet …
The anti-wind and windproof hats
Els Chimney hats must be antivent. The windshields (those that wind up with the wind), in the event of fire, they can extend the flames to the roof of the building.
What should not be burned
– Flammable liquids to light or fire the fire
– Green or wood lumber or wood (ideal for the tree to have been cut off the previous season) or resinous because it can produce soot deposits and take it to the fireplace
– Treated wood, because it can release toxic products
– Other types of fuel not determined by the manufacturer
A living fire without too much firewood
Fire must be alive, but without too much firewood, so that it has a good run. In this way we will avoid the production of toxic products and the accumulation in the soot of tar and soot that can end up burning down.
What should not be near the fire
We do not have to approach the fireplace for clothes, toys, furniture or pillows … We have to keep the firewood reserve in the right place, where it can not be switched on (we must follow the indications of the manufacturer of the fireplace).
We recommend not having the fireplace lit when we go to sleep or leave home. If it stays on, we have to place a screen mataguspires. We should not leave the girl alone with the fireplace.
It is very important that the room or room where the fireplace is located has adequate ventilation. We will avoid throttle problems in the chimney, the concentration of toxic gases, especially carbon monoxide, and bad smell.
We must be able to check, clean, drain the ducts and recover the sound, which could end up burning or damaging the ducts, following the instructions of the manufacturer. At least, one must be done per season in case of habitual use of the fireplace. Proper utensils and brushes are required and cleaning chemicals that are not recommended by the manufacturer should not be used.
The chimney, that does not lose smoke
The chimney should not have any hole. Smoke is toxic and, in addition, the hole can be finished by firing on combustible materials that are near the conduit.
The home does not light for a long time
If several times we have not turned on the fireplace, we will have to check it for specialized personnel and determine that there is no obstruction or exhaust in the conduit.
If we want to increase our safety, we can install a fire detector and carbon monoxide, and have a portable fire extinguisher in case of fire. You need to know how to use the extinguisher in this case.…